Controller – Retail – Bronx,NY
The Controller, Retail is responsible for the accounting operations of the Company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the Company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with directing the fiscal functions of the Company in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles issued by the Financial Accounting Standards Board and other regulatory and advisory organizations and in accordance with financial management techniques and practices appropriate within the industry operates.
Salary: $85,000.00 to $100,000.00 /year
- A creative, comfortable, progressive and fun environment
- 401K match, medical, vision, dental, short and long-term disability, AD&D and life insurance and other benefits
- Ongoing opportunities for development and having a huge impact on the product and the Company
- Generous incentive plans
What we’re looking for
The Controller, Retail position acts as a partner to the Company’s Chief Financial Officer. The Controller, Retail produces the financial statements and other financial reports for the Retail division, to provide a better decision support system for its users to improve profitability and cash flow of the Company. Some of the duties within the Controller, Retail role include:
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures, developing and implementing control policies and procedures as needed.
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including the design of organization structure adequate for achieving the department’s goals and objectives.
- Safeguard the Company’s assets.
- Ensure the internal controls over financial reporting processes are in place and complied with to provide reasonable assurance that the financial statements of the Company are few from material misstatement; enhance the controls where appropriate.
- Oversee the accounting operations of affiliated legal entities, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures.
- Ensure the books and records are kept at a high standard to facilitate the annual audit, performed by an independent audit firm.
- Maintain a system of controls over all accounting transactions
- Ensure accounts payable are entered and paid in a timely manner
- Ensure all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable
- Ensure accounts receivable are collected promptly
- Process payroll in a timely manner
- Manage bank accounts and ensure adequate controls
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis
- Maintain the charts of accounts
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Migrate the function to a paperless environment
- Maintain a rolling 13-week cash forecast
- In accordance with e Company’s closing schedule, Issue timely, accurate and complete financial statements in accordance with US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Coordinate the preparation of the Executive Management reporting package each month, including performance and cause of change analyses to the established Annual operating plans and forecasts
- Calculation and distribution of periodic financial covenants, including forecasting same through the next 4 quarters, as required by any debt instruments currently in place
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of Company operations
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
- Manage the development of the Annual Operating Plan and quarterly forecasts
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Provide for a system of management cost reports.
- Provide historical information, as needed, for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit and external tax preparers for corporate tax returns
- Monitor and report debt levels and compliance with debt covenants
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Ensure the Company’s fixed assets are properly recorded and controlled
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct and evaluate the Company’s fiscal function and performance.
- Participate in the development of the Company’s operating plans and programs as a strategic partner.
- Evaluate and advise on the impact of long range planning, introduction of new programs/strategies and regulatory action.
- Enhance and/or develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures of the Company by way of systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the corporation.
- Provide technical financial advice and knowledge to others within the financial discipline.
- Optimize the handling of bank and deposit relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash position.
- Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs and any banking financial covenants of the Company.
- Be an advisor from the financial perspective on any contracts into which the Company may enter.
- Assess the outsourcing of noncritical functions where appropriate
- Evaluate the Controller – Retail function’s structure and team, plan for continual improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the group, as well as provide individuals with professional and personal growth with emphasis on opportunities (where possible) for individuals.
- Financial management
- Business acumen
- Communication proficiency
- Ethical conduct
- Performance management
- Personal effectiveness/credibility
- Problem solving/analysis
- Strategic thinking
- Technical capacity
- Proven work experience as a Vice President, Finance and/or Controller or similar role
- Hands-on experience with financial and statistical software
- Experience with Microsoft’s Great Plains general ledger and financial reporting tool preferred
- Expertise in MS Excel (creating spreadsheets and using advanced formulas) and PowerPoint for developing executive presentation
- Familiarity with finance databases
- Up-to-date with accounting rules and regulations
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to present financial data using detailed reports and charts
- Demonstrable strategic thinking skills
- Confidentiality in handling sensitive financial information
- Bachelor of Business Administration and/or Master of Business Administration degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics
- Relevant certification (i.e., CMA/CPA) is a plus